Job Summary: The Financial Analyst will generate all budgets and rolling forecasts. Analytical work will include periodic reporting on actual financial and operating performance versus budget / forecast and prior year. Responsible for data management including integrity of financial and operational data stored in the data warehouse.
• Obtain / maintain working knowledge of planning and analysis software.
• Work with department heads and other team members to prepare the annual budget and quarterly rolling forecasts.
• Develop / maintain cash forecasting models.
• Prepare and update month-end management reporting package for the Executive Management team with variance analysis commentary, trends, metrics and reporting.
• Leverage internal and external financial and operational data to enable improved forecasting, planning and business insight.
• Provide proactive insightful financial analytic business support to Executive Staff and Directors to meet their business and financial objectives.
• Assist in compiling financial results for the quarterly Board of Directors presentations.
• Prepare ad hoc reporting and analysis for effective decision making.
• Benchmark the Mission’s financial and operating performance against comparable rescue missions.
- Grants Administration:
• Timely prepare U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) periodic governmental grants reports, United Way grants reports (both Greater Houston and other areas), and all other grant reports as assigned by their respective due dates. All reports should be professionally prepared and reviewed for completeness and accuracy before providing to the Manager of Financial Planning & Analysis and CFO (or their designate) for final approval before submission.
• Prepare monthly Texas Department of Agriculture CACFP claim package.
• Assist in preparation of HUD applications, CACFP applications, technical submissions and annual progress reports (APRs).
• Work with Development Grants Writer(s) to assist with preparation of governmental, United Way and other grant funding applications.
• Proper records retention in this area.
- Operating Data Management:
• Review monthly operating activities reports.
• Import key financial information, operating metrics, grant compliance information, and external data into data warehouse.
- Raiser’s Edge and Development Reporting:
• Work with Development to perform the weekly posting from RE to Financial Edge.
• Prepare monthly Development/Contributions reports, including budget to actual variances, special events, and other reporting as needed.
• Proper records retention in this area.
Other Job Responsibilities:
- Assist with Joint Cost Allocation.
- Assist with the annual financial audit preparation and field work.
- Assist with the preparation of annual tax return (Form 990).
- Proper records retention in this area.
- Other shared responsibilities (with other Finance staff):
Monitor financial activities.
Maintain internal control.
Maintain financial records.
Comply with governmental regulations.
Mission wide cost management.
Attend and participate in departmental meetings.
- Other duties as assigned.
Education: Bachelor’s degree, preferably in business with accounting or finance emphasis.
Skills & Experience: Three-plus years of relevant experience (public accounting experience is a plus). Strong knowledge of Excel, Word and PowerPoint as well as a working knowledge of mid-market or not-for-profit accounting software. Experience with database driven reporting software. Ability to creatively display quantitative and operating data. Certified Public Accountant designation strongly preferred.
Good reading, writing, time management and ability to multitask. Good judgment in dealing with confidential client information and setting priorities. Capable of handling multiple tasks, coordinating detailed work and issues that need immediate attention. Ability to communicate and work cooperatively with employees, managers, directors, clients, volunteers and outside organizations that interact with Star of Hope.
Be able to work respectfully, professionally and in a Christ-like manner with everyone, able to maintain required client/staff boundaries and possess a willingness to serve the Lord in a ministry that deals with homeless men, women and children.