Job Summary: The Cook is responsible for preparing and cooking nutritious, healthy, appetizing meals ensuring high quality, proper quantity and proper presentation while maintaining excellent customer service. The Cook is required to adhere to and maintain all related Federal, State and local regulations, health codes and standards for food service preparation and cooking.
- Adhere to all Federal, State and local Food Service regulations, health codes and standards to include but not limited to USDA and City of Houston (Food Service Certification).
- Prepare all food items ensuring high quality, proper quantity and proper presentation while retaining the maximum amount of desirable nutrients, meeting special dietary requests, including vegetarian and low-calorie meals while adhering to weekly USDA menu requirements.
- Provide excellent customer service to our customers to include but not limited to clients/residents/guests, donors, volunteers, vendors and staff.
- Monitor all Kitchen chore workers and volunteers that work in the Food Service area ensuring their adherence to health codes, safety regulations and Star of Hope Food Services Operating Procedures while providing excellent customer service.
- Communicate and report any problems related to health codes, USDA regulations, the chore system, kitchen safety and sanitation or other matters related to Food Service operations to the Coordinator and Food Service Manager.
- Understand and fully comply with all Food Services Operating Procedures; cleaning kitchen areas and equipment, comply with sanitation practices and established cleaning schedules, stock rotation schedules, refrigeration temperature control points and other sanitary controls.
- Handle special events/banquets including set up and clean up.
- Process all paperwork (meal count, temperature logs, cleaning check-list (daily/weekly), etc.
Other Job Responsibilities:
- Cook serves as person in charge of the Kitchen when assigned by the Food Service Manager.
- Participate in ministry and prayer activities as appropriate.
- Other duties as assigned.
Education, Skills & Experience: High School Diploma or GED required. Food Service Certification preferred, 2 years in a general commercial kitchen position or an equivalent combination of education and experience. Must pass a criminal background check. Valid Texas Driver’s License or government ID with acceptable driving record and current liability insurance. Knowledge and basic ability in all Microsoft Office applications (Word, Outlook and Excel) required.
Must have competent preparation and cooking knowledge and skills. Good communication skills, both written and oral, kitchen etiquette and conflict resolution skills. Possess a genuine interest in cooking nutritious, healthy, appetizing meals including proper quantity and presentation. Ability to work in a team environment and problem solve. Must complete the Food Service Certification within the required timeline.
Be able to work respectfully, professionally and in a Christ-like manner with everyone, able to maintain required client/staff boundaries and possess a willingness to serve the Lord in a ministry that deals with homeless men, women and children.