Connect with Star of Hope
Find Assistance for Yourself,
Family Member, or Friend.
New Horizons - Long Term Housing
New Horizons is the future made possible in the present for qualifying clients who need a bridge from transitional living to total self-sufficiency. The first of its kind in Houston, New Horizons is the road to permanent housing in a mainstream setting for formerly homeless individuals and families re-entering society after leaving Star of Hope’s Transitional Living Programs. Managed by Star of Hope, clients are offered subsidized housing for up to a three-year period during which time the subsidy decreases incrementally, as the graduate’s increase their share of housing costs. Star of Hope provides continuing support and accountability toward the goal of total self-sustainability and independence. At the end of three years, the clients assume the full obligation of their rent.
One of the wonderful benefits of the New Horizons program is its potential for creating opportunities for personal and professional success, with the added benefit of reducing the recidivism rate among those individuals who have a history of criminal behavior, poor credit, or broken leases and evictions. Not only is New Horizons a fresh start, it’s a leg up on building a positive relationship with landlords and rental agencies. Additionally, it’s a vehicle for helping clients to improve their credit history by paying their portion of the rent on time. These and other on-site, life-skills services and programs are invaluable for helping clients position themselves to increase their income in the short term, raising it to the minimum cited by the National Alliance as necessary for truly independent living in today’s economic climate, while boosting their potential for earning even greater income over time.
New Horizons Offers
- Supportive Environment
- Rental & Childcare Subsidy
- Biblically-Based Budgeting Course
- Assistance with Goal Setting and Financial Management
- Limited Case Management & Biblical Counseling
- Sobriety Support & Accountability
- Mentoring Teams
Applicant Qualifications Include:
- At least ONE YEAR of sobriety
- On SAME job at least 3 months
- Has been living at Star of Hope's Transitional Living Center or Men's Development Center for at least 10 months. Referrals from Star of Hope's Women & Family Emergency Shelter are rare and will be accepted on a case by case basis.
- There is an income guideline due to the fact we are working with an apartment complex who has received tax credits.
- Applicants must be referred by their Star of Hope Case Manager and the referral approved by the Case Manager’s supervisor.
- The Applicant interviews with New Horizons staff and a decision is made to accept, deny, or have the individual/family re-apply at a later date (to allow for longer term of sobriety, longer time on the job, etc).
New Horizons Ministry Updates
Director, New Horizons