Job Summary: Assist with all the spiritual, educational and recreational activities for the children attending the Children’s Program and work closely with the Manager of Children Services and Children’s Ministers in assisting with the Children’s Program’s activities and services. In addition to the job duties, attendance and participation is required in Program Development training and assignments that are designed to enrich and educate assistants about Star of Hope mission, vision, and values and the people Star of Hope serves.
- Ensure the safety and welfare of the children attending the Children’s Summer Program.
- Assist in the implementation of the spiritual, educational and recreational activities for the program.
- Adhere to the minimum standards for childcare as required by the Texas Department of Family and Protective Services-Childcare Licensing Division.
- Assist children in adjusting to the new shelter environment upon entry into the program.
- Assist during all children’s field trips and outings.
- Assist with the implementation of the weekly calendar of activities, children’s roster and meal counts.
- Assist with parent conferences to discuss the children’s progress.
- Assist with maintaining a clean, sanitized and organized learning environment for the children in the classroom.
- Assist with organizing, packing, and stocking for all summer events including Camp and Back-to-School.
Other Job Responsibilities:
- Responsible to support a safe and secure environment for all clients, staff, donors and volunteers entering or staying within the Star of Hope – SAFETY FIRST.
- Attend all Program Development classes, complete all assignments, and meet with supervisor weekly for guidance & feedback.
- Provide back-up children’s services at WF/TLC.
- Other duties as assigned.
Education: Current full time college student who is pursuing a four-year degree at an accredited college or university and currently at least a sophomore in standing (completed 30 hours) required.
Skills & Experience: One (1) plus year(s) experience preferred working with or ministering to at-risk adolescents in a school, church, camp, or other youth program setting. Must be able to pass a criminal background check and drug test.
Equipment Used: Telephone, computer, fax machine, copier, camera and laminator.
Twelve–passenger vans (Valid Texas Driver’s License with acceptable driving record and current liability insurance required).
Work Environment: Classroom and outdoor areas. Schedule may be subject to change to meet the business needs of the mission. Local travel may be required. Exposure to infectious diseases, poor hygiene, drug usage, verbal and physical abuse and other emergency situations relative to the homeless population is normal. Star of Hope t-shirt, black, blue or khaki full-length pants and comfortable close toed shoes are required. Jeans with no holes/fraying may only be worn on Fridays and only as long as a Star of Hope shirt (T-shirt, polo-style or sweat shirt) is worn.
Relations with Others: Extensive client contact; additional contact with donors, volunteers, vendors, media representatives, employees of SOH and representatives from other social agencies and churches.
Physical Requirements: Must be able to interact with youth for long periods at a fast pace and variety of settings. Stand, bend, stoop and climb stairs. Must be able to lift up to 50 lbs. Clear speech, hearing and vision are required.
Mental Requirements: Ability to speak, read and write English. Must be able to communicate with staff, visitors, volunteers, parents and children in a consistently pleasant and professional manner. Must maintain a positive attitude and be able to create a good impression commanding attention, respect and confidence. Genuine interest and concern for the welfare of adolescents. Must be able to maintain professionalism and compassion when dealing with difficult parents and teens.
Other: Able to support through word and action the Star of Hope “Christ-centered” Mission statement and the mission’s core values of integrity, excellence and commitment to life change.